Saturday, April 23, 2011

Eggceptional Deviled Eggs and the Science of Hard Boiling

I love deviled eggs.  I have tried many variations of recipes.  Following are some ingredients that you can experiment with to put zing into your own.

But first - the important thing is:  How do we properly boil and peel eggs?  I have consulted many on the matter in the past. I still sacrifice a few in my attempts to peel to perfection.  But here is the best bet for a nice smooth outcome.

Place eggs in deep pan.  Cover completely with cold water. Bring to rolling boil and boil for 10 minutes (set a timer to be eggzact). Remove from heat and immediately rinse with cold water until temp of eggs cool down.  Then take cooled egg and knock each end on a hard surface, then roll it completely, breaking up the shell as you roll. HOPEFULLY, it should peel easily as you rinse it under cold water in the process.



Yummy Hard Boiled Egg Recipe Options
After cutting in half, Place yolks in a bowl and add to desired creaminess and consistency the following:
Mayonaise (sometimes I use a little ranch dressing or sour cream)
Yellow Mustard (sometimes I use dijon)
Pickle Juice - just a few tablespoons - (sometimes I use dill relish)
Spices: Pepper, Salt, Parsley (sometimes I top with Dill, Chives, and ALWAYS Paprika)
AND for a little kick - I sometimes add a teaspoon of horse-radish

1 comment:

  1. Not to beat a dead horse with the bacon thing....but I fry a pan of bacon & dice it up, adding that to my egg. YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete