Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Comfort Food - in 15 minutes - and under $5 tonight!

I love bacon.  And then someone told me about how pigs are highly advanced, smart and sensitive animals. Then I watched the documentary Fast Food Nation and Food, Incorporated...and I swore off eating grocery meat or any fast food for that matter...until tonight. I craved a good pork chop with mashed potatoes and corn. So I made it - ate it - and enjoyed it and the following recipe keeps it under $5 and fabulous! Tomorrow, I will return to my aspirations and support of free range chicken, local vegies and homegrown goods.



Pork Cutlets in a Rosemary Mushroom Cream Sauce

4 or 5 thin boneless pork cutlets ($2.50)
10 mushrooms - sliced
1/2 onion sliced
clove garlic crushed
2 TBSP butter
1/4 cup dry wine (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream mixed with 1/4 cup heavy cream or half n half
fresh sprig of rosemary and chopped chives

Salt, Pepper and dash paprika on both sides of cutlets and brown in hot skillet in some olive oil.  After 2 minutes on each side, add sliced mushrooms, sliced onion, and garlic.  When mushrooms are soft and onions cooked through, turn heat to low and wine, stirring until nice simmer. Then add sour cream/cream mixture and stir until smooth creamy consistency.  Let simmer on very low for another 5 minutes. Add crushed rosemary.  (If cutlets are really thin - this meal will take no more than 15 minutes to prepare and serve.)  Meanwhile - I stick a whole corn on the cob (in the husk) in the microwave for 8 minutes and the corn turns out great!  (It is the only time I use my microwave!)  I also steam 4-6 red potatoes and serve with butter and fresh chives and any left over sour cream I might have from the cream sauce. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok Question. I don't know if you have much of a recollection of my mama - but anyway...roots are a hard thing to shed. I watched her "collect" and save bacon grease for years. About 4 or 5 months ago...I found myself starting to do this? "What in heaven's name has gotten into me," I thought? So...do you collect bacon grease too???? :)

    ~julie

    ReplyDelete