Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Good Life: Celebrating the Style of the Past


Check out this book by Lesley Blume and you will find some fabulous references to an era that celebrated artful living and simple gestures of style and appreciation for the details that we seem too busy to partake in these days.  Like when was the last time you wax sealed a letter - let alone sent a hand written letter? The author states, "there are many delights to be dusted off and enjoyed once again." 

The point of this blog is to share recipes of food, life, style, and perspectives that encourage living fabulously with simple effort; take common items and repurpose them or take a bad situation and see the good through it. 

So in my daily quest, I am on a mission to find pockets of joy, beauty, celebration, enjoyment, intrigue, and entertainment - all for $5 and under - or better yet free. (There are temporary splurges allowed in this experiment from time to time.)

Today, I chose to accessorize and celebrate an era when men and women added flare to their outerwear with either fabulous hats or hair ornaments.  My selection to odorn both my mood and my look was a simple clip with a peacock feather and a flower; it made all the difference in my day. Try this.  Put on something that transports you in time, that decorates the landscape of what others experience in your presence.  Add fabulousness to all the spots you visit through out the day with a tip of a hat to the past.  Tomorrow? Maybe I'll put on a brooch or stockings or I'll try my hand at whipping up some homemade butter. The past is where it's at in my opinion of fabulous, artistic, classic living!

Peacock Feather Clip
Handcrafted by local Austin artist
available at Parts and Labour, Austin, Texas
www.partsandlabour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment